Wednesday, February 9, 2011

High Five!

Del is addicted to high-fiving. She does it all day long, and shrieks with glee each and every time. She is, in fact, shrieking as I type this, playing in the other room with Daddy F. I don't remember how the high-five fanaticism started; I'm thinking it was Daddy F's doing as I tend towards the fist-bump in matters of casual hand-to-hand greetings. She's also doing this funky little belly crawl as she crawl-runs around the apartment, flopping flat onto her stomach from hands and knees with a "thwump" and a giggle. She likes to hug and loves to wrestle, and has serious height advantage when it comes to new-shelf exploration and the getting-into of things not intended for her to get into.

Receptively, Del's language has taken a bit of a jump. The other day Daddy F and Del were playing a game of passing a teether back and forth. He gave it to her and pointed to me and signed, "Give it to Mommy." I didn't call to her or reach out my hands; I just waited to see what she would do. She looked at him with a blank face and Daddy F pointed to me again and signed "Mommy, go give this to mommy. Give. Mommy." Del's eyes all of a sudden lit up as she understood the message and she shrieked as she sped over to me and shoved the toy at me, elated. (Insert typical background noise of "yay!" and clap-clap-clap!) Since then I've been giving Del little directives, to see how much she is able to understand and follow. Startling, really, to think of how brilliant babies are. So much learning, so quickly, and not only is it effortless, but they truly delight in each and every new discovery along the way.

Del's hand babbling has increased recently, and has taken on more "intonation," or different level of intensity. When she wakes in the morning, she tends to wave her hands about with loose wrists, talking at the same time as though sharing with us the stories of her dreams. When we read books to her before naps or at bedtime, she will sometimes turn the pages herself, and babble manually and vocally at the same time, as though telling us the story. She has a lot more intonation in her voice these days, with long, ear-shattering minutes dedicated to the exploration of: HOW HIGH and HOW LOUD can this voice of mine go?

Del seems to already have a fundamental grasp of Daddy F's deafness. Our schedule during the week is such that both Daddy F and I are home alone with Del different days. When I put Del down for a nap and she wakes up, she will typically start yelling or talking loudly to herself when she gets up to alert me to come get her. The other day I came home early and Daddy F had just put Del down for a nap. I took care of some bills and read for a while in our back den. At one point I went to go get a drink of water and passed our bedroom. There Del was, sitting up wide awake and staring straight at the door, just waiting for someone to appear. She was silent as can be, and looked confused, then surprised, then happy to see me as we caught each-others' eyes. Daddy F claims that she is typically sitting up and staring at the doorway like this when he goes in to check if she's awake. I can honestly say that I have never experienced Del waking up silently when I am home alone with her. She's put two and two together and learned that Daddy doesn't come when yelled at, but mommy does. It will be interesting to see how she uses this information to her advantage (and my disadvantage?) as she continues to grow and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment